Tuesday, May 19, 2009

$40 for a Hello Kitty Backpack??? I think NOT!!!

So my 2 1/2 year old daughter likes to carry about 3 beanie babies, some coins,a sippy cup and other various items EACH time we head out to run errands, which means that either I try and keep track of all of them the entire time, or we lose some and then there are tears! Sad baby tears.

So I told her I would get her a backpack, silly me asked if she would like a Hello Kitty backpack....You can see where this is going. We are in Okinawa and anything Hello Kitty, especially backpacks are ridiculously expensive! So we shopped all day long and the only tiny toddler backpacks with Hello Kitty on them were $40!! I refuse to pay $40 for a backpack my 2 year old may or may not use to transport her coins and dolls.

I checked for patterns online and only found ones that I had to pay for. So I decided that I would wing it and try to figure one out on my own.

I had Hello kitty fabric that had cost me $2 for about a yard (I only used 1/2 of it). I had interfacing, a zipper (84 cents), I cut a belt in half for the straps and I used D-rings that I had cut off of an old belt. The total project cost me less than $4. And although it isn't perfect, it serves it's purpose and my daughter LOVES it!

I still can't believe I actually MADE this on my own with no pattern!












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love it! How cute is that?! You're such an over-achiever!